Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 14:06:02 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, bob@luke.pmr.com, hoek@hwcn.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

> Meanwhile, what is Bill Gates going to do with Apple, assuming that
> Apple probably needs continuing infusions of funds and Microsoft
> therefore has some influence?
> 	--He got some anti-trust protection by keeping them alive
> 	  (by agreeing to produce Mac versions of Excel etc. for 5 years)

Hmmm... I seem to recall a little bit about an agreement between Apple
and The Empire some time ago... when The Emperor agreed to produce Mac
versions of their software (Excel was an *excellent* app on the Mac)
but failed to deliver... and the lack of business apps was part of
what killed the Mac.

Is this the agreement you're referring to, or is Apple falling for the
same line *again*?

> But as a long term strategy....
> 	--Rewrite the graphics etc. apps where Apple is the leader
> for Windows (NT, whatever); let Apple struggle, die, get absorbed

You mean, rewrite or buy out Adobe, etc?  That's going to be tough
either way... Adobe's been at this game for a long time, and we all
*know* how good of a product MS puts out the first shot out of the
pen.  When they were trying to do this frequently earlier, they got an
injunction slapped against them.  (MS discovered they couldn't *give*
away Microsoft Money, so they tried to buy Intuit, and had done
several similar acts that year.  The courts slapped them with an
anti-trust injuction.  At the time, I had a button that said, "We are
Microsoft.  Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated.")

Cheers,
joelh

--
Second law of programming: