Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:03:14 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        "Ronan Lucio" <ronan@melim.com.br>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing as root

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:01:20 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> > I need to make some scripts to change the password and another
> > things like that need root permissions, but:
> >
> > How can I do it without opening a security hole in the server?
> > What is the best way to do it?
>
> 1) Limit exposure to just those commands that need privelege, by passing
>    your command as arguments to the su(1) command.

This is stupid advice, sorry.

You need to make your script setuid root (see chmod(1)).  If the script
is big, or does complex input handling, consider breaking out the part
that needs privelege into its own smaller script, called by a wrapper
that does input sanity checking.

Ultimately, you want to limit the privelege to as little work as
possible.

Ciao,
Sheldon.