Date:      Wed, 08 Jul 1998 08:31:38 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: Someone working on swapoff?

> system, but would it be breaking sacred tradition to merge swapon and
> the future swapoff into one "swap" management utility? The unified
> utility could do swapon tasks if linked to the name "swapon" and
> swapoff tasks if its named "swapoff".

I think deciding on the name how to behave is not that good an idea
in the first place.  Besides this: How long would the swapoff in user
land be?  About 50 lines or less I'd guess.  Merging is not worth
any effort as it does save nothing in C code lines but adds more code
to do the check the program name and call the corresponding code.

What would then be worth talking about is replacing swapon with a new
command for swap management.  But that can wait till there is any need
for this i.e. the kernel support for swapoff or priorities or something
like that is at least nearly finished!  For that such a merger might be
worthwhile as the swapon functionalty would be in the new command
already and one would have to support swapon for compatibility at least
for a while.  That's like pstat and swapinfo.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.