Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:50:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        jeff@stat.uconn.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

> > I just received the text 'Installing and Running FreeBSD' by Greg
> > Lehey and in it he suggests to keep the root partition in the first
> > 1024 cylinders of my EIDE 1.6GB hard disk.  However, I have managed
> > to install and support a FreeBSD 2.1.0 system on my hard disk living
> > entirely well beyond the 1024th cylinder for some time.
>
> Congratulations.  Can you tell us more about your configuration?  I
> suspect that it depends on the BIOS: as I said in my book, the
> limitations stem from the maximum values that most BIOSes understand
> for heads, tracks and sectors.  If you have a BIOS which is less
> brain-damaged, it will work.

The second stage boot uses BIOS to load the kernel.

Even if you had an LBA-aware MBR to load the second stage boot,
the second stage boot could not load the kernel, since it will
be using simple BIOS-based INT 13 I/O which can't see beyond
cylinder 1024.

He must be using a second stage boot other than that provided
by BSD... maybe LILO?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---