Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:46:10 -0700
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Sean Hamilton <sh@bel.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passthrough block device

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003, Sean Hamilton wrote:
>   Does FreeBSD support a device that will allow for the passing of all reads
> and writes on it to a userland application? I wish to handle swapping
> myself, preferably without any kernel hacking.
>
>   What would happen if the kernel decided to swap out such a process?

As far as I know, the only way to do that in FreeBSD is to
implement a userland NFS server (e.g. amd(8)) on the local
machine, have the kernel connect to localhost, and have your
applications mmap() storage from that volume.  (You probably won't
be able to swap to the local NFS server without deadlocking.)
People have implemented better solutions than that with some
degree of OS support, however.  Take a look at Mach's external
pagers [1] and LRVM[2].

[1] http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/rashid87machineindependent.html
[2] http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/satyanarayanan94lightweight.html