Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 21:00:25 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atapi

First, it is better to post unrelated questions in different messages.

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is atapi support OK in the current release (2.x?) or can I better wait for
> version 3?

ATAPI support is better than it used to be. You can simply download the
boot floppy and see if it picks up your device. 3.0 is still a long way
from completion, and even when it is released it will probably be less
stable than 2.2.2.

> Is it possible to do masquerading over an ethernet device? (not ppp: I
> have an router connected to an eth)

Yes, using IPfilter.

> Is masquerading fast? Faster than under linux?

Don't know.

> Is routing fast? Faster than under linux? I read about a test which said
> Linux did the best, is that true? (there's a list below, I couldn't find
> FreeBSD in it, but BSDI?!)

Don't know either. It's also not clear how these benchmarks were
carried out and what they were exactly, so it's hard to say.

> Thanx!
> Paul
>
> OS              put to /dev/null  get to /dev/null    Webstone throughput
> without Router      870 kbyte/s      910 kbyte/s           6.97 Mbit/s
> SCO OpenServer      430              460                   3.51
> BSDI OS 2.1         580              620                   4.76
> Linux 2.0.18        620              630                   4.77
> NT Server 4.0       580              600                   4.85
> Intranetware 4.11   540              580                   4.74
>
> --
> Paul Dekkers (psd@worldaccess.nl or psd@dds.nl)
> N.E.V - Nescio Ergo Valeo
> UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are

Nadav