Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:04:53 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: maxusers and random system freezes

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> IMO, KVA need to be more than half of physical memory.  But I tend
> to use a lot of mbufs and mbuf clusters in products I work on lately
> (mostly networking stuff).  If you don't tune kernel memory usage up,
> then you may be able to get away with 2G.

A question arises. The value 256 (1G KVA space) acts as a default for any
system installation, not depending of real phisical memory size. So for
any server with RAM less than 2G (which is a majority I presume) the KVA
space occupies more than half of physical memory. It can even be more than
TOTAL phisical memory for servers with RAM less than 1G. Isn't it bad for
a system? It seems that it is not. Then why cannot the KVA space always be
made as some big value? If it is important for servers with large RAM, why
it is not or a smaller servers?

Can anybody besides Terry which seems to be unavailable now help?

Regards

----
Alexander Varshavchick, Metrocom Joint Stock Company
Phone: (812)118-3322, 118-3115(fax)