Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:58:39 -0700
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dave Feustel <dfeustel@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for ARM processor

On Tuesday 24 July 2001  7:59, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:49:16AM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > Strongarm-based pcs designed by Chalice Technologies
> > http://www.chaltech.com are available from  Simtek
> > http://www.simtec.co.uk/
>
> This brings up the issue of reference platform for the StrongARM port.
> There is no one clear choice as there is for the PowerPC.  Realistically,
> we probably need to pick an easily obtainable consumer StrongARM product.
> The Compaq iPaq comes to mind.  However, it is not development-friendly
> at the moment as it does not have peripherals such as built-in NIC, hard
> drive, or serial console capabilities.

The ipaqs do have a serial port. I've been playing with linux on mine for a
while now and I frequently use the serial console.

Some good points about the ipaq are that it is readily available, most all
the hardware specs are available from the CRL (Compaq's Cambridge Research
Lab) folks at handhelds.org, and of course the coolness factor. :)
--
Regards, Devin.