Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:57:26 -0400
From:      Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

>Me: When has a BSD-style copyright not been enough to keep code on the net?
>
>Reece: The original CMU AFS code had a BSD-style copyright on it. Where
>       can it be found now?
>
>Me: Oh. Is that our pizza?

The reason that you can't find AFS anymore is because when the AFS
people left CMU to form Transarc, one of the conditions of them buying
the rights to AFS was to remove AFS from CMU's FTP sites and the sites
of other places on the net (I don't quite know how they got the other
sites to get rid of the code, though).

In theory, if you still had AFS-2 source code, you could do whatever
you wanted with it.  As I understand it, the copyright hasn't changed
on the AFS-2 code that was on the net (however, the code was probably sold
to Transarc _not_ under a BSD copyright - you can release code under as
many different copyrights as you want).  I don't see how the GPL would
have changed this scenario at all.

I'm not a lawyer, and I have no first-hand knowledge of the above
information; this is all bits and pieces I've heard from various sources.

--Ken