Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2014 08:17:12 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "G. Paul Ziemba" <pz-freebsd-x11@ziemba.us>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   focus stuck after first click

I upgraded from FreeBSD 9.X to 10.X and rebuilt (same) ports in
poudriere with a new jail matching the new OS version. Now xorg
is unusable because the focus gets stuck to a window almost immediately.

Note that I ran the same versions of ports, built in the 9.X jail,
on the 10.X system with no problems. Only when I installed the same
port versions built in the 10.X jail did this problem show up.

I'm hoping someone might suggest where I should look next, as I am
out of ideas.

I tried different window managers (fvwm and mwm) and the problem
occurs with both.

In mwm, focus gets stuck after the first mouse click in a non-root
window. Before I click the mouse, I can move the mouse around to
various xterms and type text in them as long as I don't click. I
can also click in the root window and access the mwm menu to start
more xterms.

In fvwm the mouse pointer starts out already in an xterm and the
focus is already stuck (fvwm is configured as "focus follows mouse").
Clicking in the root window does not access the normal menu, but
instead, it registers in the xterm that got initial focus (e.g.,
triple click in root window selects a line in the xterm).

Xorg.0.log does not seem to indicate any issues, but I'm not an X guru
so it's possible I missed something.

The system is running moused, if that makes any difference.

vt(9) driver is enabled in /boot/loader.conf via "kern.vty=vt"

I can move the mouse pointer all around the screen, but focus is stuck
on the initial window that gets clicked on.

I ran xev and verified that when I click, there is a "button-up" event
after the "button-down" event, so it looks as if mouse clicks are
getting generated properly at some low level.

Previous OS version: 9.2-stable @259524
Current OS version: 10.0-stable @269217

Ports: portsnap run on July 13, 2014 (I'm not sure how to look up
the corresponding svn revision)

many thanks!
--
G. Paul Ziemba