Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:53:43 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        cjb@efn.org
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x11amp-libc5 and setup() not implemented?

On Mon, Mar 30, 1998 at 09:26:57PM -0800, Chris Brunner wrote:
> Don't mean to contradict you, Doug, but I have my SB32 PnP working with
> VOXWARE on -CURRENT and it works fine.  I had it working under 2.2.5 and
> 2.2.1 as well.

I tested VoxWare under -current.  First, it conflicted with the PnP in
-current.  So, I disabled that and re-compiled (which isn't a
solution, as I hack PnP drivers from time to time, but in an attempt
to see if I could get this stuff to work...)

Afterwards, it loaded just fine, and probed my card just fine.
However, it just didn't work - attempting to access /dev/dsp (major
30, minor 3) returned 'Unknown device', while some of the other
devices (e.g, the mixer) seemed to work.  This was contrary to the
probe message, and contrary to what seemed obvious from the old
VoxWare source.

Messages to support@opensound.com with detailed descriptions of the
problems and an offer of whatever help I could offer resulted in no
reply.

So, my experience is so far that people are best off using Luigi's
drivers, unless they have a strange and desperate need for MIDI...

Eivind.