Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:38:09 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Charles Beckham <cbeckham@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Obytes counter in netstat not incrementing

--4LwthZj+AV2mq5CX

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 01:15:15PM -0700, Charles Beckham wrote:
> sorry, heres a uname
> x# uname -a
> FreeBSD x.worxtech.net 6.3-STABLE FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE #1: Sun May 25
> 12:15:51 CDT 2008     worxtech@x.worxtech.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X
> i386
>=20
> also i should point out that this machine has ~ 100 alias addresses on
> it, and the problem doesnt seem to appear with all of them, some
> appear to have a proper counter.
> i'm not quite sure why this problem is persistent but could it be
> related to my netmask address for the inet alias?
> i did some research and it appears i should be using 0xffffffff for my
> netmask for the alias interface? please let me know any thaughts you
> may have.

Ah.  I recall that in older releases of FreeBSD, attempting to create
such "alias" entries netmask specifications that amounted to having
different "alias" specifications sharing a (sub)net generally failed to
work, with the suggestion to use 0xffffffff as the netmask for all such
alias specification being the usual suggestion.

Somehow, I thought that someone had done some work on this, but on a
6.3-STABLE system built 25 August, I still see in ifconfig(1):

     alias   Establish an additional network address for this interface.  T=
his
             is sometimes useful when changing network numbers, and one wis=
hes
             to accept packets addressed to the old interface.  If the addr=
ess
             is on the same subnet as the first network address for this
             interface, a non-conflicting netmask must be given.  Usually
             0xffffffff is most appropriate.

so unless there's some special reason you're using a different netmask for
the alia entrie, I think I'd suggest switching to 0xffffffff.

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--4LwthZj+AV2mq5CX

--4LwthZj+AV2mq5CX--