Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2013 23:45:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hw.physmem/hw.realmem question

>  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
>  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
> real memory  = 34359738368 (32768 MB)
> avail memory = 32191340544 (30700 MB)

2GB memory "disappears" too even when you don't set anything.

i asked such a question for other machine some time ago without much
answer.

in your laptop it may be shared graphics memory reserved by chipset

still on my dell server

real memory  = 34359738368 (32768 MB)
avail memory = 33166921728 (31630 MB)

i have over 1GB unavailable and it doesn't have shared graphics memory.

it would be nice to be able to look exactly how memory is used.