Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:35:32 -0400
From:      David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS user library?

On Jun 18, 2009, at 13:21, Kip Macy wrote:

>> I was wondering if there are plans to document and keep the ZFS
>> user library
>> as a reasonably stable API.
>
> You really need to ask that on the ZFS lists. Usually Solaris man
> pages indicate that an API is not stable (assuming) man pages exist.
> With a few minor exceptions, ZFS in FreeBSD just tracks ZFS in
> OpenSolaris.

As mentioned above, there is a "libzfs" but the Sun people are still
changing things a lot so they can't guarantee compatibility. One
example of these changes is the crypto work being done in OpenSolaris:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/zfs-crypto/phase1/libzfs_api/

Is there something specific you're looking to do? The file system
layer of ZFS (the "ZPL") is in flux, but there may be other components
(e.g., DMU) that may be more stable (the Lustre folks are coding
against it in user land). See pages 7 and 8 for the three main layers:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/zfs_last.pdf