Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 00:28:41 -0500
From:      Mark Murdock <fee@tetranet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel Configs (take 2)

This is in regards to my earlier post requesting kernel config information.
I'll ask the same question but be a bit more specific this time.

  I am using a 166 mhz AMD K5 machine running freebsd 2.2.1 (soon to be
2.2-stable) with 32M ram.  The machine has two NIC cards.  One goes to an
ascend pipeline 50, the other plugs into a hub of a 50-node Novell 4.1 network.
I plan to provide the Novell network Internet access by proxying and using
the freebsd machine as the default gateway.  The Internet is connected via
a 128kbps ISDN to the ascend router.

My questions are as follows:
1) Are there any kernel configurations out there operating under similar
  conditions that I can compare with my own?
2) Am I better off configuring the ascend pipeline as a router or a bridge?
  Since it will only be receiving defaultroute IP from the freebsd gateway
  and will simply be forwarding those packets on to the ISP's router, do I
  really need the overhead of routing, or will bridging be more efficient?
3) Will user-ppp (tun0) allow me to set up a dial-up connection so that the
  freebsd machine can be called remotely and establish a ppp link, or will I
  need to use pppd (ppp0)?
4) Is it possible (feasible) for me to set up the modem as a throughput
  "supercharger" of sorts?  In other words, after a certain throughput is
  reached, can I have the modem establish a dial-up ppp to the provider and
  provide another 28.8k on demand?

I realize there are lots of questions here, but I would really appreciate any
input I could get on this.  Any similar experiences or links to information
that pertains would be beneficial.

Thank you very much,
Mark Murdock
fee@tetranet.net