Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:26:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipx on 802.3

> > Of the socket on which the ioctl call is being made.  Probably have to
> > propagate a couple of fields on te dispatch.
>
> Ummm, the /protocol/ (nb: not address) family of the socket is totally
> irrelevant to all of the current ioctls /by design/; now you're
> proposing to undo that cleanup?

All I'm saying is if he wants to add 802.3, he shouldn't be blackmailed
into cleaning up the link code misuse.  802.3 is *so* valuable that it
would be worth undoing that cleanup and several others just to get it
in.

Once in, another cleanup could be done.  The hard part on the 802.3 LLC
is codifying the state table.  I've seen companies buy code from Microsoft
and hack COFF objects from MSVC 2.x into something usable by GCC to get
an 802.3 before.

It's like someone giving you a new horse right after you have shoed your
old horse.  The beneifits of the new horse outwiegh the costs of the
shoes on the old one... it's unreasonable to expect him to shoe the
thing because your old horse had shoes.

In case Jordan didn't follow that because it wasn't a car analogy, the
relevent car analogy involves being given a new white Ford Taurus right
after you've painetd your old Dodge Dart red.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.