Date:      08 May 2002 19:52:25 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        "Mr. Mark Murray" <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of perl on FreeBSD

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 10:02, Mark Murray wrote:
> > First question is -- people are going to be upgrading FreeBSD.  Having a
> > stale /usr/bin/perl is going to muck stuff up royally.  Likewise, many
> > existing scripts use /usr/bin/perl at that location.  Can we simply have a
> > symlink that points /usr/bin/perl at /usr/local/bin/perl (and any related
> > pseudo-programs such as suidperl, etc) as part of the normal install along
> > with the perl package.
>
> DES(?) has a piece of code (to be called /usr/bin/perl) that will find the
> "real" perl and DTRT.

I much prefer the symlink approach. I don't think some wrapper program
in the base tree buys us anything. You might as well have nothing sit in
the /usr/bin/perl position, and have the port create the symlink.

It's a bit unusual for a port to do that but I think this is a special
case.

--
Paul Richards                   |  FreeBSD DVD releases and merchandise.
FreeBSD Services Ltd            |  Hardware, support and development.