Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 09:50:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: using scsi(8)

> Hi there
>
> I'm figgling around with the scsi(8) command to get LOG PAGES info from
> my DLT drive. It should be possible to get quite a lot of info from the
> drive in this way.
>
> My problem is that the scsi(3) man page that describes the arguments
> that scsi(8) can use is more or less incomprehensible to me :(

Sorry - I should probably revisit it since I've been away from it for
a while and it could be a lot clearer.

> Especially the part about the _fmt_ parameters (which are quite essential
> to my efforts) I can't seem to figure out.

Take a look at "sbin/scsi_format/scsi_format.sh" in -current
where it dumps out a mode page, and also the mode page data
base in /usr/share/misc/scsi_modes where everything inside the
curly brace associated with a mode page index is a decode descriptor:

> # Peripheral Device Page:
> 0x09	{
> 	{Interface Identifier} i2
> 	{Reserved} *i1
> 	{Reserved} *i1
> 	{Reserved} *i1
> 	{Reserved} *i1
> }

This will dump out the first 2-byte integer field swapped into the
right order.

--
Temporarily via "hdalog@zipnet.net"...

Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267