Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 09:08:21 -0400
From:      "Dan Anderson" <dananderson@cfl.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XFree86 and KDE installation >< close

Hi,

I recently installed a fresh 4.3 without X.  I did this so I could get a
clean install of XFree86 4.0.x and KDE 2.1.  After doing a make install for
XFree86 and then for KDE2 I had hoped to be up and running after configuring
X for my display.  What I was hoping was that on one of my virtual terminals
I'd have a nifty login screen that would then launch into KDE.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do next.  Running xdm isn't what I want,
nor kdm.  Startx doesn't seem to be doing much.

Can anyone tell me what steps one should take after the make install on
XFree86 and KDE2?  I've tried poking around for docs on the system as well
as on the respective websites and am still stumped.

Dan Anderson