Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 23:35:36 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Beck Peccoz Amedeo <gea@masternet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc sincing questions

>Just a couple of silly doubts about the ahc driver...
>
> While starting up the kernel with the -v option the ahc driver
>reports the sinc speed for any attached scsi device in MHz.
>Shouldn't be in Mbytes/s?

MHz is correct.  The sync rate is a measure of the clock rate at
which data is transfered.  Only when you multiply that by the bus
width, do you get MBytes/s.

> Why I see no difference when enable the ultra speed? My HD can
>sinc at 20 Mbytes/s, but it actually sincs only at 10... what's
>wrong?

If you have a Wide drive, it does 10Mhz sync on a 16bit bus.  If you
have an 8bit device, it must do 20Mhz sync in order to do 20MB/s.
What is your drive model?  The only Ultra drive I know of on the market
is a Seagate one, and the person who tried it said it refused to negotiate
20Mhz sync (looking from a SCSI bus analyzer) and that it was the device's
fault and not the driver's.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations