Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:00:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gbaratto@superb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating lots of servers

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Gustavo A. Baratto wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I want to be able to push the changes from a development boxes to the
> other boxes... like In openbsd we can just make a big tarball in the
> development server, copy it to the orher boxes and untar it.
>
> I don't really like the idea of using nfs in the development server that
> has all the source code for many servers.

Me neither, but then I noticed most new servers come with two NICs, so I
put a cheap-ish 10/100 switch in and put all the boxes on a private
network not accessible from the internet.  You can run NFS on only those
inside interfaces and nfs mount your /usr/src, /usr/obj, and /usr/ports
through the private network.

It's very very handy, and very fast; build once on one server then do your
"make installkernel" and "make installworld" on each machine.  Works very
well...

Thanks,

Charles