Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 96 20:04:16 MET
From:      marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Amancio's tv program with capture!

> I would suggest adding an mmap() entry point for the device driver
> and calling it when you request pages to be mmapped.  The system
> mmap() interface would not be changed, it would just act differently
> for vnodes that were devices.

> This would work for mapping video memory by device generically as well
> as frame capture buffers, etc..

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

Since it hit the hackers, I'll ask a more general question:

anybody remembers Sun's pixrect and /dev/fb?  Does anyone see something
very wrong about it?

All agree that video, keyboard and busmouse need to be separated; it's
just too much to do for the current maintainers.

The last time I had anything to do with pixrect and /dev/fb, it seemed to
me as a reasonable abstraction.  It would sure make life easier if we
used graphic card drivers as LKM's, and geared everything towards the
/dev/fb.  I guess the X11 implementors might like it.  Of course, if
the LKM provided mmap() and various ioctl()s to operate the blitter,
the things might get yet simpler.

Any obvious fallacies with this?

Any interest?

/Alby