Date:      Sat, 03 Apr 1999 18:10:59 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Installation Guide Project [Was: Re: FreeBSD Adovcacy]

Dan Langille wrote:
> Your book is great.  I use it.  But not everyone can get it.  The handbook
> is great.  Not everyone uses it.  I refer to it all the time from my
> documents.

Greg's book has a permanent place stacked next to my monitor, along
with UNIX Power Tools and my hardware reference manuals, I use almost
every day.

> Darren, do not waver.  Your stuff is needed.  I'll help you any way I can.
>  Whether you choose to go the handbook or whatever, IGP still needed.  The
> best witness to that fact is the number of request we get on undernet
> #freebsd for help with installs.

Given all the off-list offers and on-list discussion it's pretty
obvious to me that the IGP is sorely needed.  I'm going to see to it
that the IGP goes through to compile a no-assumptions guide.  I've had
a very long think about the Handbook and incorporating the IGP with it
and come to the conclusion that while parts of the IGP probably could
fit very well with the Handbook, rewriting the Handbook is just not
what I want to do.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world