Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:32:54 +0100
From:      tg@award.de
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK port, anyone ?

On Tue, Dec 16, 1997 at 10:31:11AM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
> > I seem to remember somebody complaining that there was no 'real' JDK-1.1
> > available for FreeBSD. As I'm also a little impaired by the lack of a 1.1
> > JDK, so I was wondering if somebody was currently working on a port.
>
> Actually, there *is* a JDK1.1 port available for FreeBSD, but not a
> latter port.  However, diffs to JDK1.1.2 were just made available, see
> the freebsd-java mailing list.

I know about the port, I've seen it. Unfortunately it doesn't sport a debugger,
even if it is only jdb. Without a debugger, it's back to using 1.0.2 or Linux
JDK. Also, I was actually thinking of porting 1.1.5, if I can get that one from
sun.

> > If not,
> > I might volunteer to do one. Oops, accidentally used the 'v' word :-).
> > However the usual lack of time, the usual work commitments etc. blah blah
> > mean that I would not be able to start before the end of January.
>
> I resemble that remark. :)
>
> > Before I start, I would actually like to get some answers to the following
> > questions:
> > - Is there any interest for such a port? Considering my usual state of
> >   overworkedness, such an undertaking should make sense to more people than
> >   just myself. I can *probably* live with using the Linux port.
>
> Of course.  However, the Linux port may work much better now due to
> recent bugfixes in the Linuxulator. :)

> > - Any others that are interested in joining this effort?
>
> Sure, check out freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org

Yet another freebsd mailing list that I missed. Thanks. Will subscribe later.

> > - Other comments and suggestions are welcone, of course.
>
> I'm currently building a JDK1.1.2 port using the patches posted about in
> the java mailing list, but it won't be distributable due to Motif
> licensing.  I hope to somehow fix that, but it just depends on the
> weather.  If it's snows a whole bunch then I'll be outside playing it,
> but if the weather is as yucky as it is now over Christmas (40 degrees
> and brown) then I'll probably spend more time inside. :(

Did you check if lesstif might work? I've found it quite useful. But of course
lesstif break GNU emacs if you build it with lesstif, but that's probably not
a comment on the stability of lesstif (Just to follow up another thread...).

Timo