Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:50:10 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Todd Backman <tbackman@corp.gulf.net>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 17" monitor recomendations..

On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 08:37:11PM -0600, Todd Backman wrote:

> The IIyama 17" pro has a .25mm AG Diamondtron screen.
> Sync Frequency: Horz: 27.0-92khz Vert: 50-160
> Video bandwidth: 160MHz dot clock
> Max resolution: 1600x1200 (non-interlaced)

I was also seriously considering buying this brand, but haven't been
able to find any shops in the Southern Ontario area who can get it...
hmmrrff. I think I'll try harder. Otherwise, the Nokia has generated
about 5 very favourable responses! :-)

> > I don't know what they are called now, but Sony used to make three
> > lines of Trinitron monitors: the SE, SF and SX.  I have both 20SE and
> > 20SF around here, and the difference is staggering.  The 20SE can do
> > 1200x900 at 102Hz with a Matrox Millenium, and it's as smooth as
> > paper.

I think now they're called the GS,ES, and PS (the ES/GS might be in
the wrong order..) -- as far as I can tell, nearly the same monitors
with different names.

> > If you are spending a lot of time in front of the computer, get the
> > best monitor you can afford, they will last a long time (no, Mag
> > doesn't qualify) and once your eyes get bad, no amount of money will
> > bring your eyesight back.

Indeed. That's pretty much my theory as well - I consider the monitor
the most important part of the computer, since it's what I'm staring
at all day long..

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark