Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:15:34 -0600
From:      Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: netscape 6.2 - unable to resolv hostnames

Yeah, what's up with that?

The menus issue ONLY happens when you attempt to install from /usr/ports.

Downloading 6.1 from netscape.com directly never has produced this issue.  If the 6.2 port has the same issue, I say don't install
it from /usr/ports, and just get it direct.

My question is this: is the version /usr/ports fetches hacked?  downloading from Netscape doesn't have any issues with the menus.

Edwin Culp wrote:

> Except for menus not displaying properly, it works fine here, too.  I just
> installed it from ports after commenting out the broken line and changing
> the depends to linux_base-7.  The menu is usable but not exactly intuitive.:-)
>
> ed
>
> P.S. It seems to have screwed up my bookmarks but didn't actually erase
> them I have to look at that a bit closer.  All I did was check them and
> they we were not there and then do a tail on bookmarks.html and the last
> one was there but not visible to netscape, so I copied it quickly but
> still haven't tried to figure it if I lost them or not but I think not.
>
> Quoting Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>:
>
> | Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

> | from tape] when I first ran it.

> | > you are lucky ;^)
> | >
> | > do you have a -stable box to try it ?
> | >
> | > Cyrille.
> | >

> | Well, the one -stable box we have around here developed a serious case of
> | discitis, in /usr at that...  The drive needs reformatted
> | and the whole thing needs reinstalled.  Later in the week, maybe.  We think
> | it might have to do with the use of a new 1500 watt HF
> | linear amplifier that was messing with several computers prior to some cable
> | re-routing, best guess is that the filesystem got hosed
> | during some disk writes because of the strong RF, a WinBlowz box shows
> | similar symptoms.
> |
> | Note to softupdates maintainers: strong RF fields can create situations that
> | softupdates cannot recover from :^)
> |
> | Anyhow, netscape-6.2 under -current has my seal of approval, with one caveat:
> | make a backup of your bookmarks before installing, and
> | put them back after installing!  The install will clear your netscape-6.1
> | bookmarks!

jim
--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!