Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 21:29:57 +0200
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
To:        Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New jail_interface broken in 6.1-RELEASE

--=-KGqw4gIo0SwxGSwjwtQc

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 21:02 +0200, Dirk Engling wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006, Florent Thoumie wrote:
>=20
> > Really, there's no -rc team. The might be 3 or 4 committers committing
> > in the rc area on a regular basis.
>=20
> Then, I think, its time for me to volunteer and try to make the best of i=
t=20
> in future. I understand, my mail has been a little too aggressive, I didn=
t=20
> want to discourage you from doing _your_ volunteer work.
>=20
> > Really, I would have preferred you bug me about finding a solution to
> > your problem rather than sending such a mail.
>=20
> I wrote this mail in a mixture of urge to let it out and hope someone her=
e=20
> at the list has an idea how to quickfix the situation.

I broke it, I had to fix it. Be sure that this will be committed ASAP.

> > I tried to make FreeBSD better and just have been over-enthusiast about
> > this. I understand this affects you because it affects your pet project=
.
> > Please have a look at the list of past ERRATAs. I'm not trying to be
> > rude nor trying to minimize my fault but software have bugs, get used t=
> > it.
>=20
> Its nothing personal. I just feel discomfortable by the fact, that your=20
> mistake (hey, everyone makes mistakes) has made it into a release,=20
> apparently without any testing. Shouldnt there be a Q/A? Thats why I put=20
> the mail on list, not to embarrass you.

I tested it with my setup, which apparently wasn't enough. It has been
in HEAD for 3 weeks IIRC, nobody complained. I've made a mistake and
learned some lessons from it.

> >> a) What, if I want to run several jails on one IP address? Stopping th=
> >> first jail on that IP would remove the alias from my interface
> >> subsequently taking it away from the second jail.
> >> b) What, if I'd chose to run a jail on host systems IP? Stop it, BAMM =
-
> >> goes my host system.
> >
> > Does it even work? Or you mean a configuration error?
>=20
> Sure its works, its even a thing I would everyone encourage to do. Its
> always a good idea to seperate services, even if you only have one IP.

Haven't really tried, nice to know :-)

> > d) What if I don't like default behavior?
> >
> > Then just don't use jail_interface. Jail_interface is OFF (well, empty)
> > by default.
>=20
> Ehrm, your test failed ;) So its just a matter of luck, you dont always=20
> delete the IP from all interfaces.

Well, my test worked because I was using jail_interface. Not the first
time quoting had bitten me, but surely was the worst.

> There are other (imho better) solutions for the problem (I dont even=20
> consider one, anymore).
>=20
> > The feature itself is ok, mistakes around the feature are mine, and I
> > already apologized at least ten times in the past few days. I can do it
> > again, I'm *really* sorry. Please take this as a beginner's mistake. If
> > you don't want to use FreeBSD anymore because I made a mistake, then
> > don't, it's up to you.
>=20
> Again, its not your fault. And theres no need to take it personal. I just=
=20
> didn't want to let this pass. Hopefully there will be a working Q/A in=20
> future. I make mistakes, too, made them in "pet" projects as well as in=20
> projects I am paid for. And I don't think that users of my open source=20
> projects deserve less means to express their anger than my costumers.
>=20
> Still, I do not think the jail_if feature is a good idea, I even consider=
=20
> it contra-productive.

Some people are quite happy with this feature (I mean, besides myself).

> But thats not subject to discussion, anymore.

Sure it is, that's what opensource projects are about! Discussing things
and sending patches!

Too bad you didn't test the patch when I asked for comments/testing :-(

--=20
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD Committer