Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:59:35 -0800
From:      Jason Chambers <jchambers@ucla.edu>
To:        rwatson@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/130605: [tcp] Certain hardware produces "Network is unreachable" errors for scanning tools

rwatson@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Thanks for your detailed bug report.  It seems like a few things are going
> on here, and probably need to be diagnosed individaully.  First, the error
> reported by Nessus, "BIOCSRTIEOUT: Invalid argument" can, I believe, only
> be triggered in the following kernel code:

(...)

> This suggests that Nessus is passing an unexpectedly high or low number
> of usec's, and is therefore probably an application bug.

Thanks for pointing this out.  Although unrelated to the issue at hand
it possibly impacts nessus results and will help push their support team
in the right direction.  I see this error on a FreeBSD system that
successfully runs scans.

> In general, "Network is unreachable" (ENETUNREACH) is generated by protocol
> sockets when the destination host is on a non-local network and the gateway
> specified in the route to the host is unreachable -- for example, ARP can't
> find the gateway, the device link is down, etc.
>
> Is there any indication in the system logs of the link state going up and
> down?  You can use "route -n monitor" to track some of the relevant events.
> Given that you've tried multiple cards, I can't help but wondering if
> there is a cabling, switch, or router problem, so if you haven't already,
> I'd follow those possible lines of diagnosis as well.

There's no indication of interface flapping in the logs and I checked
that the underlying infrastructure is fine.  Route -n monitor shows
nothing before and during the NMap or Nessus scanning.

I suspect it's hardware related because not all FreeBSD (7.1-p2) systems
I'm using have the problem.  The commonality in all of it is newer Dell
rack server systems ( 8-core PowerEdge 1950 and SC1435's).  This
"Network is unreachable" error seems to always occur with NMAP's OS
discovery phase.

ex:  nmap -sS -p 22 -O host

However, only on the SC1435's does Nessus fail to run successfully.
When I say run, I mean the nessus process successfully sends out probe
traffic (verified at the remote destination) but ignores the replies.
Tcpdump shows that they arrive fine.  The only thing different about
these SC1435's from other systems is a patch I've applied to have the
ServerWorks HT1000 controller work.  (ata_ht1000.patch)