Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:33:33 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syscons CUT&PASTE functionality added...

Mark Valentine stands accused of saying:

> > It does not work here. I have a vga (Et4000 with 1MB) and a genius
> > mouse (works on X as MouseSystems on /dev/ttyd1)
>
> I forgot to mention that bit in my other mail - I had to use the cuaa?
> device (/dev/cuaa1 in your case) instead!  (The more I poke at serial
> devices, the less I understand them...  My X server uses the ttyd? device
> just fine.)

Operations on a ttyd? device will block until the port has DCD raised.
If DCD drops again, the process on the port will get  HUP.

cua? devices are similar, but they pretend that they have DCD when you
first open them.

The X server knows how to find the cuaa? device that corresponds
to  a give ttyd? device.  Moused doesn't.