Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:36:05 -0600 (CST)
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1

> > Where ZIP_t is an opaque type:
>
> Oooh, getting Snazzy here.  Does this mean you want it in C++ now?
> *grin*
>
> > int	zip_add(ZIP_t zp, char *fname, int link)
> >
> > Add file fname to zip file (which must be writable).
> > If fname is a link and link is true, the link will be stored
> > as a link, otherwise what it points to will be stored.
>
> Since the ZIP format doesn't have a concept of links, it will only store
> filenames.  Unfortunately, this means that we can't do symlinks inside
> of zip files. :(
>
> Is this going to be a show stopper?
>
> > int	zip_fdopen(ZIP_t zp, char *fname)
> >
> > Return a file descriptor for an entry in a zip file.  When a read from
> > the new fd returns EOF, a zip_close() on the fd should be done to
> > clean up any state lying around.
> > Returns new fd on success or -1 if entry not found/open failed.
> >

> > int	zip_fdclose(ZIP_t zp, int fd)
> >
> > Close a file descriptor previously returned by zip_open().
> > Returns 0 on success, -1 on error.
>
> Hmm, the above 2 could get interesting.  I'm not sure how you'd do that,
> in the same way I'm not sure how you'd do that with files inside a tar
> file.

actually, mine are more akin to gzip.  my routines don't even deal with
zipfiles, they just compress and decompress and have hooks for displaying
progress.

the fd* stuff might be a good idea, tho.

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or