Date:      Wed, 09 May 2007 11:14:38 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.x to 6.x source update, bootblocks?

--==_Exmh_1178734478_71795P

> Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 01:54:15 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a quicky...
>
> I've been running around upgrading some boxes to 6.2 from 4.11 using the
> directions in UPDATING.  I noticed that in the 4.x to 5.x step it's
> basically mandatory to install the new bootloader:
>
> cd /sys/boot
> make STRIP= install
>
> I see no such notes in the 5.x to 6.x guide.
>
> Should I repeat this process?  I figure having the latest bootloader
> should not cause problems, correct?

V5 is when UFS2 was introduced as well as moving the kernel and modules
locations. That is why the need to re-build boot. This has not happened
since V5, so there is no need to manually re-build the boot again. It
gets re-built in any case. The procedure in the 4 to 5 upgrade was to
allow the boot of the newly built kernel.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1178734478_71795P