Date:               Thu, 6 Apr 1995 13:45:48 CST6CDT
From:      "John Booth" <JOHN@gab.unt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Intermittent net with 322 SNAP.

After being on the net for several hours (6 or more usually) the net
will go down.

It's always been a process that uses sockets (telnet
was the last process) that seems to cause the net outage.  It was
using 120% cpu (ps -aux showed).  I killed it and net came back
immediately.

I can ping my address from console, but a ping to any
other address on same subnet just sits there until the offending
process is killed.

This NEVER happened w/2.0R or 1.1.5R.  The machine has been up for 3
days so far and has lost net about 4 times.

I'm using a 486 dx2/66 (intel), ne2000 clone irq 5 port 0x300, 24
meg of ram (72 pin simms), mono text display, IDE drives (Maxtor
7245a and a Conner504???...conner is master).

Although the slip device is in the kernel I'm not using it.

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
#   $Id: GENERIC,v 1.36 1995/03/18 08:12:47 rgrimes Exp $
#

machine     "i386"
cpu     "I486_CPU"
ident       ulantris
maxusers    15

options     INET            #InterNETworking
options     FFS         #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     NFS         #Network Filesystem
options     PROCFS          #Process filesystem
options     "COMPAT_43"     #Compatible with BSD 4.3
#options        UCONSOLE        #Allow users to grab the console

config      kernel  root on wd0 swap on wd0 dumps on wd0

controller  isa0

controller  fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector
fdintr
disk        fd0 at fdc0 drive 0
disk        fd1 at fdc0 drive 1

controller  wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk        wd0 at wdc0 drive 0
disk        wd1 at wdc0 drive 1

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device      sc0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

device      npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device      sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr

device      lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
#device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl  3