Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 02:58:12 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        John Baxter <jbaxter@mmcable.com>, "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: onitoring named

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:52:58AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Today, the most commmon response I see to nameserver problems is
> "oh, your nameserver MUST have been hacked".  This is an exciting, sexy
> answer that just about anyone can give.

Which -- so very inconveniently for your thesis -- happens to be true.

> It requires no real understanding of DNS by either the giver or the
> receiver.  I guess I'm just getting sick and tired of hearing it
> because my own experience is that most likely the problem is that
> the DNS server has, in fact, NOT been cracked, and that the problem
> is something more subtle.

And when the originator complains "my named is dying" and gives no
extra details, we're all supposed to put on our magic Telepathy
Beanies and divine up the problem?  Yeah, that's definitely the step
I'm missing here.  Thanks, suggestion noted!

Kris

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--