Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 07:44:18 +0200
From:      Rudolf Cejka <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        "Robert J. Adams" <radams@siscom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirroring ftp.freebsd.org

Robert J. Adams wrote (1999/05/19):
> I don't think it's the connection to the net.. we have a little over
> 100Mb/sec to play with.. and ~70ms pings to cdrom.com. I guess I'll play
> with it some more..
>
> Check this out.
>
> root    4925  0.1 65.8 173684 170856  p1  S     7:17PM   8:46.15 mirror
> freebsd :ftp.cdrom.com :/pub/FreeBSD Got ls-lR.gz 2287659 107 (perl)
>
> It's using some serious memory.

I see... You are trying to use port "mirror"? FreeBSD's site is very
very big so you must use another than default algorithm. In your
mirroring configuration, use "algorithm=1" (or "use_files=1") and
mirror will take less than 6 MB of memory.

And now I have another question: Does anybody know about multithreaded or
multiprocess mirroring program? My thoughts are: one master process
which scans directories and N subprocesses (with arbitrary upper limit)
for files downloading.

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science