Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 11:42:44 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server Farms?

On Thu, 11 May 2000, you wrote:

> > >Brandon D. Valentine suggested the use of procmail.
> >
> > The trouble is that while this does reduce mail spool space, and reduces
> > the time it takes to read the appropriate CVS lists, it does not save
> > bandwidth.  Alfred Perlstein's suggestion would do that quite
> > effectively.
>
> Er, that's not what I said.  I said to use procmail.

No matter what you use to accomplish it, splitting the list AT THE SOURCE end
will reduce the total burden on the MFA.

An easy way to get there is to create lists for each of the subsets and
subscribe those lists to the "all" list. They can then use procmail to discard
the messages that don't apply to them and distribute the rest.

The ultimately more efficient mode is to have the distinction made at the
source itself (cvs) and send the mail only to the appropriate list.
Than a public "all" list can either be server (as it is now) from cvs or by
echoing each of the sublists.