Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:12:09 +0100
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giulio Ferro <auryn@zirakzigil.org>
Subject:   Re: Java desktop (eclipse)

On Monday 11 February 2008, Greg Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:08:58AM +0100, Giulio Ferro wrote:
> > Is pretty much unusable. Every now and then, when you open a dialog or
> > do some
> > operation (e.g. refactoring) everything crashes with a "problematic
> > frame" error
> > or permgen error (even though I set a high value for that in config.ini).

Add -XX:MaxPermSize=256m to eclipse.ini (/usr/local/eclipse/eclipse.ini) to
fix. Also you might want to bump -Xmx up to 512m or more. BTW it would be
nice if this file was moved to /usr/local/etc and if it wasn't overwritten
during a reinstall.

> > I already submitted more than one report on this and got no reply. Is
> > java on freebsd
> > abandoned or what?
>
> Definitely not.  Although it sounds from your subsequent email that this is
> mainly occurring for eclipse 3.3.  Thats probably the reason while this
> version of eclipse is still in the eclipse-devel port rather than having
> become the stable eclipse port ;).  It really seems like your problems
> are specific to that version of eclipse and that you need people interested
> in working on that rather than Java in general.

The problem with eclipse-devel is that it invokes realpath(3) with a NULL
resolved_path parameter, leading to a segfault. One can easily trigger the
bug by clicking File -> Open.

This can be worked around by patching the appropriate files.

Place the following file in eclipse-devel/files - this file patches the
swt FileDialog class to correctly call realpath(3).

http://unforgiven.student.utwente.nl/~pyotr/eclipse/post-patch-plugins-swt-gtk-swt-FileDialog.java

Add the file to the post-patch part of the port.
http://unforgiven.student.utwente.nl/~pyotr/eclipse/Makefile.patch
i.e. cd eclipse-devel; patch < Makefile.patch

Good Luck!

--
Pieter de Goeje