Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 16:51:20 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   panic: lockmgr: non-zero exclusive count??

What does that specific error message mean??  Is there a list available
describing all of the FreeBSD panic strings??

I have a 133 Pentium (Compaq Deskpro 4000) on which I had previously
installed 3.4 from CD-ROM.  My CR-ROM drive is a Creative 5230E.  I don't
have a SCSI card.  I just received _The FreeBSD Handbook_ from Walnut
Creek which came with the 4.1 CD-ROM (I thought it was going to contain
other software that went with the Handbook when I ordered it).  Anyway,
since didn't have too many files of my own in my FreeBSD partition, needed
the newer version of XFree86 to work with my video card, and 4.1 is
regarded as an improvement over 3.4, I decided to install it.

It failed and gave the following:

All filesystem information written successfully.
Creating emergency holographic shell on VTY4.

anic: lockmgr: non-zero exclusive count
Syncing disks . . . panic: lockmgr: non-zero exclusive count
Uptime 10m18s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds -- press any key on the console to abort.