Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 95 11:42:25 CST
From:      dietz@cyrix.com (Carl Dietz)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ft (QIC 40/80)

Robert Trangmar writes:

> Does anyone know why this this wasn't written as a *complete* tape driver?
> It would be really useful for me to have this as a device i could use
> dump and tar on and i am considering looking further into it with a view
> to enhancing it to do just that.
> Just thought i'd cast around to see if anyone had any input before i
> expended/wasted valuable time.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> RobT

I guess this explains the troubles I've been having with my new floppy tape
drive I bought this last week.  It wouldn't work with tar, dd, or mt.  I was
beginning to think that something was wrong with the tape drive, 'cause the
FreeBSD docs say that the floppy tape is supported.  FreeBSD was recognizing
it at boot-up, but wouldn't do anything else with it.

I only bought the thing because FreeBSD said it supported it, and I can't
afford to buy the SCSI DAT drive that I'd really love to have (pipe dream :-) ).
But the FreeBSD documentation never said that it wasn't fully supported like
the SCSI tape drives are.

How exactly is the QIC 80 120MB floppy tape drive supported under FreeBSD ?
Since tar, dd, and mt don't work, what do I use to read/write from/to the
drive ?  Or should I just flush my new tape drive down the toilet ?

Carl

|  Carl Dietz                                    Cache Designer |
|  dietz@cyrix.com                              (214) 968-8249  |
| SULU:	"As advanced as you obviously are, you still play ?"    |
| KIRK:	"Yes, Mr. Sulu, play.  The more complex the mind, the   |
|        greater the need for the simplicity of play."          |
|                    STTOS:"Shore Leave"                        |