Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 17:12:59 -0700
From:      "Rudy Gireyev" <rgireyev@cnmnetwork.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moving a HD

Hi old friends! :-)

I have a question. I installed FBSD 3.1 on one of my
IDE hard disks. When I did that the hard disk was set
as a master on a secondary IDE controller, which gave
it a name of wd2 appropriately enough. Now I need to
move this disk onto the primary controller as a slave
disk which should give it the id of wd1.
After I move the disk and set it up in the BIOS I try
to boot from it. FBSD finds it just fine but then gives
me the old panic: cannot mount root (2)
setting root_disk_unit=1 does not work either because
currdev and loaddev are still set to disk2s1a, and I'm
not able to change the value of loaddev. Changing the
value or currdev disorients the loader and it complains
about not being able to find the kernel.
Ideas, thoughts?

Rudy
P.S. please CC me on the suggestions as I'm not
currently on the list. Thank you.