Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:31:20 -0400
From:      "Thomas Laus" <lausts@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cross-Building Alpha on i386

Group:

Since RELENG_4 is has lost support, I wanted to install something from the
RELENG_6 tree.  I installed the latest .iso (RELENG_6_2) that was on the
mirrors, but the libpam libraries had problems.  The library libpam.so.3 was
missing on my system and even root can not login after installation.

I used the following script:
================
#!/bin/sh
### makerelease Mike Patterson <mpatters@cs.uwaterloo.ca>
## from makecd originally by
## Author: Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@gshapiro.net>

# Error exit
EX_UNAVAILABLE=69

# Set this!
buildname=RELENG6-TSL-13JULY2007

# chrootdir, where everything gets built to
chrootdir=/usr/buildworld
# FreeBSD release area
rel=/usr/release
# Boot blocks
boot=boot/cdboot
# CD-ROM root
dir=cdrom/disc1
#cvsroot
cvsroot=/home/ncvs

cd /usr/src/release

make release CHROOTDIR=${chrootdir} \
		BUILDNAME=${buildname} \
		CVSROOT=${cvsroot} \
		RELEASETAG=RELENG_6 \
		NODOC=YES \
		NOPORTS=YES \
		ALLLANG=no \
		NOPORTREADMES=YES \
		TARGET_ARCH=alpha \
		TARGET=alpha
# set NOSRC=YES if you don't want the sources either

# Move into the area
cd ${rel} || exit ${EX_UNAVAILABLE}

# Read CD_VERSION from cdrom.inf
if [ ! -f ${dir}/cdrom.inf ]
then
	echo "$0: ${dir}/cdrom.inf missing"
	exit ${EX_UNAVAILABLE}
fi

read version < ${dir}/cdrom.inf
cd_version=${version##CD_VERSION = }

if [ "${cd_version}" = "" ]
then
	echo "$0: cd_version not defined"
	exit ${EX_UNAVAILABLE}
fi

# CD Parameters
appid="FreeBSD ${cd_version}"
pubid="Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org>"

# Where to save the backup
iso=/home/lausts/iso/disc1.iso

# Create the ISO file
/usr/local/bin/mkisofs -A "${appid}" -P "${pubid}" -p "${pubid}" \
			-no-emul-boot \
			-o ${iso} -b ${boot} -R -J ${dir}

echo
echo
echo ISO is in ${iso}
echo
============
I changed the	`TARGET_ARCH=alpha & TARGET=alpha' in the script as well as the
location of enough filespace to build the system.  The result was an un-
bootable cdrom.  Is there a script that the Release Team uses that might be a
little better for me to use?  Are the mkisofs switches correct for the Alpha
architecture?  Since my AlphaStation is a lot slower than my PC's in the i386
family, I would prefer to update by cross-compiling binaries instead of
building on my Alpha.

Tom

--
Public Keys: