Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:12:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux hardware

:I'm just curious.  How many disks are in this box?  We saw something
:similar here at work and it turned out that there were multiple disklabels
:on the other disks and for somereason it was confusing the loader.
:We dd'd the bad sections off and everything worked.
:
:paul

    I've got one IDE CDRom and two SCSI disks.

    I did play with the labels on those machines.  I will try blowing
    them away.  If I put a 'printf("XXX\n");' in front of every single
    v86int() call in libi386/biosdisk.c it doesn't crash on me.

    ... ( time passes ) ...

    ok...  I cleared the disk labels using dd.   Hoa!  That seems to have
    fixed it allright!

    Very weird.  I was sure I zero'd the labels before I populated the disk,
    but maybe not.

    Thanks much!  I was tearing my hair out on this one...

						-Matt