Date:      Fri, 08 Mar 2002 21:28:17 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID, Vinum(?), Filesystems, OSs...Config Help, Please?

Owing to my girlfriend's generosity and that great American institution,
the class action lawsuit (specifically, settlement of litigation re: IBM's
MWave modem/soundcard, which was pretty bad at both), I am able to
afford and have purchased two identical new 40gb IBM ATA100 hard
drives that I would like to run as a RAID0 array, keeping my current
20gb ATA66 drive as well.  (Losing data is no more than an
inconvenience - anything I want to keep is on someone else's servers,
and I can use part of the 20gb drive as a fast local backup.)  My
motherboard (ASUS A7V266-E) has the RAID controller chip used in
the Promise Fasttrak 100 RAID card, which works with FreeBSD.

While the drives are in transit, I'd appreciate it if someone could point
me toward good information on the following:

1. If FreeBSD "recognizes" my RAID chip, will it automagically see my
drives as a RAID array?  Can I configure the array with Vinum?  If yes,
what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so?

2. What are the parameters of the RAID array I will want/need to
configure?  Are there good references regarding how to determine
optimal values for any such parameters?

3. I plan to run Win2K, -STABLE and perhaps -CURRENT on the RAID
array, Win98 and perhaps QNX on the 20gb drive.  Are swap,
applications, etc., automagically placed to take best advantage of
RAID0, or is this something I will want/need to do myself?  I'd be very
grateful for any references or recommendations re configuring for best
performance.

Thanks,

Jud