Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:38:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Diskless in FBS4.5-R

Hello!!

I have an old FreeBSD-4.3 box running in a Pentium I/160MHz.
I use this computer as DHCP server and I have in it  images
for several operating systems [FBSD-4.3R among them].

Now, we wanted to update this computer and install FBSD-4.5R.
to do this, I took a new computer, and installed and configured
FreeBSD-4.5R.

Then I transfered my /tftpboot directory, activated tftp service,
copied my DHCP configuration, transfered my diskless OS systems.
and everything seemed to be ok.  My old computer was unplugged.

I tested my diskless server with MS-DOS and it transfered it ok.
I also have the files to transfer the installation images for
installing FreeBSD-4.5 and it also worked ok.

Nevertheless, my diskless image for FreeBSD-4.3R did not work
and either a new one for FreeBSD-4.5.  When the image is
downloaded to the client, the kernel is transfered and loaded
but, when it tries to mount the root filesytem, a panic issue
is displayed saying that the mounting directory is not available
[but, I can mount the rootfs directory using NFS in every
computer in the network where the server is connected]

Do you have any idea of what is happening?
Do you have FreeBSD-4.5 working diskless and serving diskless images?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

--
Eduardo Viruena Silva		eduardo.viruena@esfm.ipn.mx