Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:40:44 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, whizkid@xnet.ro
Subject:   Re: RE: PPP again or going back to Linux

8/10/2002 7:35:06 AM, "Radu M. Obadã" <whizkid@xnet.ro> wrote:

>Hi,
>I would like to thank everybody that took their time and answered to
me,
>either personally or on the mailing list. But I couldn't fix it:( I
>tried everything you suggested: not telling PPP to specifically using
>PAP, setting login in ppp.conf, running PPP in interactive mode,
>everything... no results whatsoever).
>Some more details: when I dial my ISP in interactive mode, I get
>something like "CVX switch access login:"; sometimes it lets me login,
>something it doesn't... but nevertheless, even if it doesn't let me
>login, from Windows I CAN still connect. And if I log in, I have no
>options to start a PPP session, the only commands I have are "hang"
and
>"quit".
>I don't know what to tell you anymore: I have given you all the details
>I could think of. Now I'm really, really DESPERATE, and the
perspective
>of switching back to Linux (or worse, Windows!) is getting closer and
>closer.
>Ooh, when I dial in interactive mode, none of the "p"s turn into "P"s.
>That's about all.
>Hoping that you could think of anything else,
>Radu

Hello, Radu.  A couple of suggestions:

First, the article at the URL below is an excellent guide to getting started
with ppp on FreeBSD.  It's likely aimed at someone below your level of
Unix experience, but perhaps it's not a bad idea to review to see if
you've forgotten anything:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/14/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Second, I got similar results to yours at one time after an old QNX
modem driver somehow screwed up my modem for both QNX and
FreeBSD.  The solution was to give my modem the AT commands to
reset it to factory defaults.  When I tried it again on FreeBSD, it worked.
(Meanwhile, I was able to update my QNX modem driver, so my modem
is now happy with all my OSs.:)

Jud