Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:56:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No luck installing X-distribution with Sysinstall (3.3-Release)

Hi,

I have been trying to install the X-distribution for 3.3-Release
unsuccessfully for the past couple of weeks.  The entire system instalok
except for X - when I try to run XF86Setup I get the error "Command not
found" and there is no directory under /usr for X.

I have tried installing it the following ways:

1.  from a CD I created from the latest ISO image:
   - ran a "Novice" installation
   - chose the "X-Developer" distribution
   - chose the appropriate X servers, fonts, etc,
   - the installation completed without setting up X.
     Upon reboot, I discoverd that X wasn't installed at all.

2.  From /stand/sysinstall:
   - chose "Configure"
   - chose "Distributions"
   - selected "XFree86"
   - again, selected all of the appropriate servers, fonts, etc.
   - chose the installation media (cdrom this time)
   - the screen blinks, then I get bounced back to the main Configure
     menu.

3.  From /stand/sysinstall (again - I figured at this point there was a
problem with the CD)
   - same steps as Step 2, but chose FTP as the installation media.
   - the result was the same.

4.  After messing about with many different things, I tried a fresh
installation, this time via FTP.  I made sure to choose the "X-Developer"
distribution.  The result was the same as in step 1.

I am giving up on the sysinstall utility for installing X -it obviously
isn't going to work for me, so it looks like I'm stuck installing it from
the ports collection - but can anyone offer any ideas as to why this is
happening?  Am I the only one to have this problem?

Thanks in advance,

- M -