Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 11:20:15 -0400
From:      Dave Ason <dgason@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new kernel won't boot

>I've installed 2.2.7 onto a new 5G drive.  When I make a new kernel, it

>stops booting at ed0 and then doesn't go any further.  This new kernel
is
>a direct copy of GENERIC; I make no changes.  Strange.
>
>Is this unusual?  Shouldn't GENERIC just work?  I've seen no errors
>displayed.

    You are right, a rebuild of GENERIC should work fine; it does on my
2.2.5 system. However, here are some thoughts:
1) Is your 2.2.7 system an upgrade from an older verion of FreeBSD? How
did you do your upgrade? If only some of the files were upgraded while
others were not and you attempted a rebuild, I can see all sorts of
potential problems with that.
2)You mentioned that this was a new drive. Is there an older copy of
FreeBSD on an older drive? Might your system be trying to boot from this
older drive?
3) The first time you did your build, the good kernel should have been
saved as /kernel.old    Save a copy of this as something else. (On your
second rebuild the good kernel in kernel.old will be gone) When I am
screwing around with a new kernel, I always keep a copy of this saved as
"kernel.good" in case I really mess things up.
    You can specify a particular kernel to boot from at the
"boot:" prompt.

    Good luck,
    Dave
    dgason@mindspring.com