Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 15:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com
Cc:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qt versions

 * I hoped that somebody, who is more involved in qt *programming*
 * would make a statement, what to keep and what to wipe out.
 * But this didn't happen.
 * So I suggested a sane way of finding out the right solution
 *
 * a) introduce something like USE_X11 for QT, i.e.:
 * 	USE_QT=yes turns on build dependency on QT 1.40
 *
 * b) Every port, that uses qt should then be modified to have
 * 	USE_QT=yes in the Makefile
 *
 * c) - If every port can be build without trouble, then we can nuke
 *      the old qt libs ! Hurray ! (* This is preferred *)

Actually, I think most ports are building with qt140 now.  Our qt
ports aren't designed for coexistence, so dependent ports are building
with whatever is installed latest (includes) and qt140 (library).  I
don't recall seeing any error caused by this on the package building
machine.

 * d) - If some ports can't be compiled or run with qt1.40, we turn
 *      on the old qt lib build dependency in those ports
 *      But then we would have to modify the qt ports in a way, that
 *      they can be installed in parallel.
 *
 * I hope c) becomes true, this would save some work.
 *
 * Would you agree on that order ?

That sounds ok, but I'm wondering what will happen in the future.
Say, when qt 1.42 comes out, we upgrade the port, and if it breaks a
bunch of stuff, we'll have to modify the qt140 port, and people who
already have qt140 have to reinstall the qt140 port.  It might be
easier to just make qt140 be coexistable.

I can certainly create a new variable, of course.  Something like

.if defined(USE_QT)
LIB_DEPENDS=	qt\\.1\\.40:${PORTSDIR}/x11-toolkits/qt140
.endif

?

Satoshi