Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 98 16:45:54 -0500
From:      curt@kcwc.com (Curt Welch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting oriented with RAID

>  I've been reading in the archives and on Simon's website
>  http://simon-shapiro.org), but there are some basic things
>  I'm still not clear on that I'm hoping y'all could
>  explain.

I'll comment on what I know about.

>  1) From the DPT website, their PM2044UR (single channel
>  PCI) RAID controller supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 0+1, and 0+5.
>  Does this necessarily mean that the FreeBSD driver written
>  by Simon can also do all of the above?  Something I read
>  in the archives indicated that you need do use ccd for
>  RAID0.

You can do all of those (at least on the PM3334), but as
you read, you must use the FreeBSD ccd driver to do the RAID 0
(striping) parts.  DPT supports RAID 0 across multiple
controllers, which means it must be supported in the driver
and not on/in the controller.  As far as I can tell, Simon
just didn't get around to adding that to the driver.  I see
no real reason to do so since it's supported by ccd with no
problem.  ccd is very easy to use and you would have to use
it if you wanted to stripe across DPT and non-DPT controllers
anyway.

If you define a RAID 0 array with the DPT manager, it just
shows up as separate drives when you boot instead of as one
large drive (like it does with a RAID 1 or RAID 5 array).

>  3) Given that you want redundancy and optimal performance,
>  can you increase performance by running RAID0+1, or is
>  it better to just run RAID1?

I guess you need to explain a little more about what you
are asking.

I'd say that four 4.5gig drives in a RAID 0+1 config will
perform better than two 9gig drives in a RAID 1 config.
Both of these configs give you the same overall disk space
(9gig), but with the smaller drives striped together, you
spread the IO over more spindles (4 vs 2) and therefor you
will get better performance.  So, in this case 0+1 is better
than just 1.

But if you have 4 drives which you can leave as two RAID-1
arrays or combine them into one large RAID 0+1 array, then
performance won't change much.

Curt Welch