Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 00:52:09 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 strangeness

> I am not sure over my choice of lists here.  If I guessed wrong, I'm
> willing to be chased away.
>
> Immediately after my last make world and reboot (new kernel, new LKMs too)
> I brought XFree86 back up again, did a bunch of manual rearrangements (I
> haven't had time to re-customize my screen stuff after my disk crash of a
> couple months ago), then I started ppp back up.  I waas happily finishing
> the screen stuff, but the moment that ppp finished connecting, X stopped
> listening to me, and kept giving me the error:
>
> picnic:/usr2/chuckr:47 >Xlib: connection to "picnic.mat.net:0.0" refused
> by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> Error: Can't open display: picnic.mat.net:0.0
>
> I used xauth to manually add localhost, then read out the key using xuath
> list, then manually added the exact same key value for picnic.mat.net:0.0.
>
> This got my back to adding screens, but what's the correct fix?  Seeing as
> this happened immediately after ppp connected and set up routes for me, I
> think maybe ppp is doing something now it didn't used to do?
>
> It may matter that I was a couple weeks out of date in building current,
> so any changes in ppp accrued from then, but the rebuild was from very
> fresh sources, just this morning.

What sort of setup do you have ?  Do you have a static IP that hasn't
got a loopback route (I add an alias on lo0 myself) ?

The only thing I ``suspect'' is that X is reading the routing socket
and notices that ``picnic.mat.net'' has been removed - despite this
not being the only such route, X decides things are broke.
Unfortunately, I don't run ppp on the same machine that I run X on
any more, so I haven't seen any such problems.

I've heard of these sort of problems before, but not from anyone
coherent enough to say more than "ppp locks X up".

Ppp isn't doing anything new in this area .....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;