Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 22:58:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> Can you guarantee that the install script is going to get the numbering
> right if we go with implicit order based upon script name?

In general, yes. There are really only a few big things they need to be
super-picky about, and they are usually standard system components (like
sendmail or nfs).

> Or worse, is
> every install going to check to make sure that no other scripts exists which
> use that order number?

It is not necessary that they do so. Package-name is already unique.

> I think these are a LOT more dangerous. File order is explicit and simple.

And impossible to manage.

> Anything else is headaches.

Why don't you go look at a System V box before blindly asserting this? If
it was full of headaches I wouldn't have been using it and converting other
systems to use it for the past 10 years.

> And yes, I know that SysV does it, and that is works fine for whoever.
> I don't like SysV. Specifically, I don't like this "feature" of SysV.

Pity. It's one of the features of System V that are actually *useful*.

> It boils down to that. A few other people have said it, and I'll say it too.
> I don't want FreeBSD to become a SysV-clone. That's what Linux is for.

I smell the scent of NIH.

> If people want changes to the startup mechanism, to incorporate the best
> concepts from SysV, that's fine. It's call improving.

Which is what we're doing.

> But throwing out the entire "rc" script concept, and going with (pick an
> implemention, any mutant implementation) SysV-clone I consider bad.

Nobody is talking about *cloning* System V.

> Will you volunteer the same for your version? Including a re-write of the
> "daily/weekly" stuff that reallly should use the same mechanism?

Yes. IF it will get used, and not shouted out by someone who's got a System
V phobia. The last project I did for FreeBSD got shunted aside, so I'm
not willing to dive in on another one without some expectation that it'll
get used.